Launching a web site really should be a simple matter. I’ve deployed hundreds of web sites over the last few years. Most of the time, it is a simple matter of backing up some files, uploading some new files, and occassionally making a DNS change so that a domain name actually points to said files. Sometimes it takes five minutes; sometimes half a day, if the site is really large. It may be more complex than that, but, generally speaking, it’s not hard.
If you think about it, making a site available to the public is really just one small step in a much larger series of tasks in building a site.
So, anyway, this evening I was doing a site launch. I started at around 5 p.m. I took about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, out to help with Lila and to eat dinner.
This launch should have been fifteen minutes. It’s turned into three hours, and I am not satisfied yet.
The main cause of the delays is that the web host has set up the account in a very inhospitable way. For instance:
- PHP files must be put in the cgi directory to work. This kind of goes against the point of PHP files